Being the spokesperson for a Service Desk tool is not an enviable position in my mind at all. In fact it's probably one of the worst functional areas I would want to support. It's flooded by vendors, it's selling to a cost focused market place, and it's level of expectation for results is ridiculous. Unless, your vision and product is game changing, and your are a bullish marketer. This week we had the pleasure of having on Patrick Bolger, an acquaintance I've come to know through sponsoring at ITSMF and Pink Elephant over the past 5 to 6 years. My first introduction to Patrick was a continued lesson in never underestimating who you are meeting. Patrick, in his gruff voice approached me as I went to his booth, "what's ehh ahh Vigilant do?". Figuring he was a booth bouncer, I said "oh we implement ITSM solutions." The standard "you wouldn't really know what I'm talking about if I told you". Then like a sucker punch, Patrick started to unleash on me a vision of service management and forward thinking I hadn't seen in the industry, especially from a tool vendor. Long before ITIL V3, Patrick was talking about life-cycles and maturity mapping, integrating strategic vision into tactical execution. I sat for over an hour punch drunk at the wealth of knowledge from a guy who looked like he just stepped out of the WWE. That's a compliment Patrick, please don't hurt me. :)
Moral of the story: Never underestimate the talent in the exhibit halls. Ask questions, take time to learn, and don't be afraid to say "show me what you got" that's what they are there for.
Enjoy this great episode with Patrick, and thanks again to his company: http://www.hornbill.com/ for sponsoring.
Show notes: http://www.servicesphere.com/blog/2010/8/9/itsm-weekly-the-podcast-week-27.html
ITSM Weekly The Podcast (Week 27) from ServiceSphere on Vimeo.
Your Hosts: Chris Dancy, Matthew Hooper and Matt Beran (twitter #ITSMWP)
Sponsor: Hornbill Software
Sponsor Special: You Choose!!
Week 27 Topics:
- What is @FakeITIL
- Chief Evangelist
- FrontRange Solutions
- Sparxent (Formerly NetworkD)
- Why do English Software Companies Have Trouble in the US
- James Finister
- Hornbill Twitter
- Olympic Games and Hornbill Software
- 1980 Olympics (Lake Placid)
- Chris’s Parents From Here
- The Thorpedo
- Gartner Adjusted Spending for IT
- Stephen Mann
- Michael Cote
- MonkChips (James Governor)
- Ben and Jerry’s and Email Marketing
- What to do when you Cloud Data Goes BYE BYE?
- Beran’s Car
- Chris’s Service Desk Roots
- Where does Chris Stand on Service Desk and SaaS (you heard it here first and a bit of history and forecasting)
- The gang ways in on is the WEB rich enough?
- Beetil, InfraDesk and Service-Now
- Best New Grammy Curse
- Madonna History
- The Gauntlet Service Desk Offering from Hornbill
- OTRS Tweet (Unhappy customer wanting different software)
- Hornbill adds Social Integration (Beran Salivates)
- What is @FakeITIL
- Brandon Lane
- Mortal Kombat
- Facebook Questions
- Alan Pease
- Where is the FBML Help Desk
- Twitter Suggested Users
- The Patrick Bolger Twitter Account
- Social Media for VMWorld Document
- Are you at the Twitter Bar
- Value to the Community
- itSMF Fusion
- Are ITSM ITIL Trade Shows WORTH now?
- See Patrick at itSMF Fusion
- SDITS Show London
- Your ITSM Tradeshow Experience
- Pannels vs Presentations at Tradeshows
- itSMF Italy Call for Papers
- The Audacity of Free
- What Does a Meeting at Hornbill Cost?
- Kicking Tires or ….
- Look at Me!
- What Happens After Malcolm Fry